Fun in the Park Festival Thanks Community Partners for 16 years of Faithful support
Having a wholesome, FREE festival in the heart of Wilsonville to amuse, entertain, educate, and delight was born at a time of city contention over water treatment and siting of a women’s prison. Could the community come together to embrace a lighthearted, competition-free, all-kids-are-equal gathering?
Heading into its 17th year, Fun in the Park has won a substantial “YES” from many quarters. Aside from idealistic volunteers guiding from conception to fruition, the venture needed a “buy-in” from generous Sponsors. FREE made it “equal opportunity.” Over the 16 years, some 51 different sponsors have exceeded the cash or in-kind “match” challenge of City grants by about $674,000 to $117,250.
From a modest 4,000 visiting the 2001 inaugural FITP event at Town Center Park, the festival now includes two closed off streets and approved encroachment on vacant adjoining property to accommodate upwards of 10,000 for 125+ venues of fun for all ages. Dozens of canopies invite fun that is creative, lively, sportive, decorative, colorful (12+ inflatables) and informative. Most of the main stage offerings are “locals” — bands, dancers, musicians, jugglers, magicians, martial arts, etc. Vendors pay to display products, services, and food; always on the first Saturday in August, 10am to 4pm.
In a “look back,” Fun in the Park shows a combined community involvement of…
- 305 different Fun Providers at their own expense (businesses, churches, organizations, clubs, practices, schools, non-profits, etc.)
- $674,000+ from 51 cash or in-kind Sponsors (between $1,000 and $5,000)
- $117,250 from grants from Wilsonville Transient Room Taxes and the City of Wilsonville
- 88 other contributors, smaller cash donations, services, supplies, logistical help
- 7,700+ volunteers (now about 700 per festival)
- 136 “Roving Revelers” and stage acts (along the by-ways and on the main stage)
- 180 Product and Service Vendors, who pay to attract buyers for their wares
- 67 Food/Beverage vendors, who pay to tempt the hungry and thirsty with their treats
- 50 who have planned and produced the festival as Organizing Committee volunteers
- 117,000+ estimated attendance; about 50% from outside Wilsonville.
A note from new Fun in the Park President, Brady Mordhorst:
“First, not enough thank yous can be said to Bob and his wife Judy, for establishing Fun in the Park as such a great community event. For the past 16 years, they have given a countless number of hours and energy to Fun in the Park. Without them, you would not be reading this, as Fun in the Park would not exist. When you see them, make sure to say thank you.
To fill those shoes is a large task, not to mention filling the shoes of Dawn Wilbur, who has served as Vice President of Fun in the Park for the past 8 years, as well as the amazing amount of help her husband, John, has provided. It will be a big task, but such an exciting one! To be a part of this makes the work that goes into it fun and gets my adrenaline going.
The heart of Fun in the Park will remain consistent, and with the help of the Fun in the Park committee and all the volunteers that do so much, I am beyond confident Fun in the Park will again be a tremendous blessing to the City of Wilsonville.”
Can we count you in for 2017?
Wilsonville’s Town Center Park – Aug. 5, 2017 – 10am-4pm